2. Church of Ireland, Kiltenanlea Parish
This church measures 14 metres long and 7 metres wide. It was built in 1782 on this elevated site with a burial ground attached. In 1795 it became the parish church of Kiltenanlea and Killokennedy, with Rev Charles Massey as Rector and Richard Welsh as curate.
A variety of stained- glass windows light up the interior. Including examples of stained glass made by Mager & Co of Munich and London.
The Tower designed by James Pain was an add on in 1830 and was built from local quarried limestone at a cost of £300.
The Chancel and two small transepts which were a gift from Lady Massey were erected in 1891. These were designed by William E Corbett, Limerick, who also designed St Senan’s Catholic Church Clonlara and the Catholic Church in Castleconnell.
The church also includes a number of memorial windows, brass plates and marble tablets dedicated to local gentry who once owned the large estates around the parish; Massey’s, Westropp’s, Phelps & Vincents and also those that fought in World War 1.
A lectern carved in the shape of an Eagle was presented in memory of Rosetta Anne Phelps by her three sons in -laws who were all married in this church.
The graveyard contains a number of family railed enclosures and vaults including the Massey vault at the centre and oldest position.
Reference: Kiltenanlea Parish Church and its community 1782-1992 Freddie Bourke